- 1 (15-ounce/425g)can adzuki beans, drained and rinsed or 2/3 cup (160 mL) dried beans
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) chili pepper flakes
- 1 large butternut squash, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 small bunch of kale, chopped (about 2 cups /500 mL)
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (15 mL) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) freshly ground pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
1. if using dried aduki beans, add 3 cups (750 mL) of water to a large saucepan with the aduki beans, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for another 60 minutes, or until the beans are tender.
2. Start on the rest of the dish by by heating 1 table spoon (15 mL) of the olive oil in the sauce pan over medium low heat. Add the onion, garlic, and chili flakes and cook, stirring constantly, being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the squash and water, turn the heat up to medium, cover, and let cook for 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender (easily pierced with a fork).
4. Add the kale, oregano, salt, and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes before adding the cooked or canned adzuki beans.
5. Stir and let cook, covered for another 15 mintues.
6. For the last minute of cooking, stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of the olive oil and the lemon juice.